Tuesday, February 22, 2011

We are winding down our travels

First off, we are OK.  I'm not sure if you heard about the very large, destructive earthquake in Christ Church, which is on the south island.  The TV scenes from there look very bad, but we did not feel it at all where we are on the north island.

We had a day of driving yesterday and spent the night in Rotorura.  There is a lot of Mauori history and culture there and a LOT of thermal sulphur springs activity.  And I do mean SULPHUR!
This is what the countryside looks like around the Hobbitton tour site.

Just had to include this totally random picture from a place called "The Swinging Cow Cafe". Got to love that Kiwi humor.

This was taken in a park in Rotorura. That is steam in the background rising from a very hot, smelly pool of water that bubbles up from the ground


We went on our Hobbitton tour today, but I can't post any pictures from it. They made us sign a non-disclosure statement about posting pictures. (Sorry Joe.) But I do have lots of  pictures from there that I can show you later. It was really neat - lots of hobbit holes, only seen from the outside, but fun stuff.  More later...

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're all OK and far away from the Earthquake. I couldn't remember your itinerary and, so, was concerned when I heard about the it. Enjoy the rest of your trip and save travels home. Jim Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewwwwwwwwwu that smell. Rotorua sounds like roto rotter...... I loved all the homes that were using this natural wonder to generate power. You did get to soak in on of the pools didn't you?
    Happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it! I immediately thought of you when I heard. Whew! So sad though, poor folks! Guess they were still repairing from the last one? Welcome back to the cold PNW!!!

    ~Lisa @ The Red House

    ReplyDelete